As the end of the year draws near, I’m participating in my first end of the year survey, created and hosted by Jamie @ Broke and Bookish! All pics and questions are credited to this lovely lady! Feel free to join in as well!
Number Of Books You Read: 96 (as of 12/24/16)
Number of Re-Reads: 0
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy
1. Best Book You Read In 2016?
WE ARE THE ANTS by Shaun David Hutchinson (contemporary/scifi) // It absolutely blew my mind and I can’t wait to read his next release!
A COURT OF MIST AND FURY by Sarah J. Maas // I cried so much.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
SHADOW AND BONE by Leigh Bardugo // There’s a lot of hype around this series and although there are a few redeemable aspects about it, unfortunately, I found it lackluster.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
AFTER THE FALL by Kate Hart. That cliffhanger though.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
THE JEWEL by Amy Ewing! I loved this book, and I’m dying for people to read so we can discuss it!
5. Best series you started in 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016?
Best series // RUINED by Amy Tintera
Best sequel // A COURT OF MIST AND FURY by Sarah J. Mass
Best series ender // I actually didn’t read many series enders this year, so I don’t have one for this category!
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016?
Kate Hart, author of AFTER THE FALL.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
I don’t read much historical fiction, but I really enjoyed STALKING JACK THE RIPPER by Kerri Maniscalco! I can’t wait to read her next work!
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
RED QUEEN. It was amazing and I can’t believe I waited this long to read this one!
9. Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Probably AFTER THE FALL by Kate Hart, THE LEAVING SEASON by Cat Jordan, and A COURT OF MIST AND FURY by SJM. I can’t stop talking about these books.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016?
THE THOUSANDTH FLOOR by Katharine McGee and EVEN IF THE SKY FALLS by Mia García.
11. Most memorable character of 2016?
Jane in MY LADY JANE! I just absolutely loved this book.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016?
I’m currently reading CARAVAL by Stephanie Garber and it’s pretty amazing, but since I haven’t finished it yet, I’m going to go with MILK AND HONEY by Rupi Kaur. The cover is gorgeous and I loved the poems in conjunction with the little drawings.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2016?
WE ARE THE ANTS. I can’t stop talking about this book and I won’t until everyone reads it, okay?
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read?
RED QUEEN. It was so good???? Why didn’t anyone tell me to read this before???
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2016?
“No one was my master— but I might be master of everything, if I wished. If I dared.”
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2016?
Shortest: WE SHOULD ALL BE FEMINISTS by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Longest: A COURT OF MIST AND FURY by Sarah J. Maas
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
AFTER THE FALL by Kate Hart. RED QUEEN by Victoria Aveyard. YOU GUYS.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Rhysand and Feyre, of course. Despite how problematic this series is, I do love it a lot.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
ALL OF THE FRIENDSHIPS AND RELATIONSHIPS IN SIX OF CROWS. i love them so much you guys.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
THE ROSE SOCIETY by Marie Lu. I ABSOLUTELY ADORED THIS BOOK.
21. Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
TRUTHWITCH by Susan Dennard. I don’t usually like books that people pressure me to read, but this one was pretty good!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016?
G from MY LADY JANE! I loved this book, and I loved all the characters, and I also adored G!
23. Best 2016 debut you read?
THE THOUSANDTH FLOOR by Katharine McGee! This reminded me a lot of GOSSIP GIRL and PRETTY LITTLE LIARS, and it was amazing!
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Oooh, the worldbuilding in NEVERNIGHT by Jay Kristoff was pretty spectacular! I’m anticipating the next book in the series!
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
MY LADY JANE by Cynthia Hand, Jodi Meadows, and Brodi Ashton! I was laughing throughout reading this whole novel, and I’m dying to reread it! (P.S. I’m desperately in search of an ARC of MY LADY JANE, so if you’re willing to trade, please let me know! Please comment here or message me on Twitter @arcticbookss, or email me at arcticbookss at gmail!)
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016?
A COURT OF MIST AND FURY and AFTER THE FALL. Can I stop talking about these books? Apparently not.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
THE LEAVING SEASON by Cat Jordan. I couldn’t stop thinking about this book for about a week. READ IT GUYS.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
AFTER THE FALL by Kate Hart.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2016?
WE ARE THE ANTS by Shaun David Hutchinson, or MY LADY JANE!
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
THE CROWN’S GAME by Evelyn Skye. I wasn’t the hugest fan of this one.
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2016?
twirlingpages.com! It’s so gorgeous, and I just adore all of Alexandra’s posts!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2016?
I really enjoyed writing my review on THE MIDNIGHT STAR by Marie Lu!
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
My discussion on consent in YA is probably one of my favorites!
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I didn’t get the chance to meet any authors or go to any conventions but hopefully next year!
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2016?
When I hit 1,000 followers on Twitter! It’s such an amazing feeling, and I’m so grateful for all of you. ❤
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Juggling blogging and school, hands down. I dropped the ball on blogging for a while, I have to admit, but I’m hoping to catch up once my school situation is good!
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
How Do You Define YA? Not my favorite discussion, but to each his own!
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Should Blogging Be Stressful? This has been one of my favorite discussions to write!
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
I’m in love with Book Beau. I haven’t bought anything from them yet, but hopefully I’ll get one in 2017!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I did! I know I finished the Flights of Fantasy challenge, but I’m not sure about the other ones I signed up for. I’ve been updating my progress every month, so this page isn’t updated yet!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2016 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017?
CARAVAL! I’m currently reading it but I’m also watching GAME OF THRONES, so I’m not sure I’ll be done by the end of the year!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2017 (non-debut)?
VANGAURD by Ann Aguirre. I loved the previous trilogy, RAZORLAND, and I’m so excited to read this spinoff!
3. 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
WINTERSONG by S. Jae Jones. It looks absolutely STUNNING and I’m dying to get my hands on an ARC!
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017?
FOREVER AND ALWAYS, LARA JEAN by Jenny Han! I adored the first two books of this series, and I’m so excited to see where this book takes Lara Jean!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2017?
Reach 2,000 on Twitter! I’m almost half way there, so hopefully I can reach it soon!
6. A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
AFTER THE FALL. Guys. Read it!
That was a lot of fun! Do we have anything in common? Let me know in the comments or link me to your own End of the Year Survey!