Last week, the #1 New York Times Bestselling Author of the Red Rising Trilogy, Pierce Brown, visited the Philippines for a book signing event during the 2017 Philippine Readers and Writers Festival. I was invited by National Bookstore to briefly interview him, and here are 5 things I’ve learned about him, and his amazingly written Science Fiction series:
- Pierce has to be the biggest fan of the Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin both in book and T.V. Series form. He actually wrote his books while waiting for new Game of Thrones books by G.R.R.M. to come out, and the first book in his series was written after the release of A Feast for Crows, while waiting for A Dance With Dragons. He’s very passionate about who he wants to sit on the Iron Throne, to be honest.
New characters from Pierce’s upcoming novel, Iron Gold (Out January 2018 from Del Rey Books)
- Iron Gold, his forthcoming novel also set in the world of Red Rising, will be featuring more characters (of course!) and he’s excited to feature them through multiple POVs, other than just from the perspective of Red Rising’s main lead, Darrow au Andromedus.
- In writing stories, he usually has a hard time writing deaths of characters who he feels like were robbed of their ascent to greatness. He feels like these characters deserved so much more than just a brutal and violent death, and that they could’ve further improved their character arcs.
- If he could actually breathe to life one of his characters, he would want for it to be Victra basically so he could date her. He also couldn’t help but mention Loran who happens to be Darrow’s cousin for he’s such a passionate character and he had such a huge impact on him.
- When going on adventures in Manila, he ate the Adobo, which is the national dish of the Philippines that’s made of chicken and / or pork stewed in vinegar, garlic, soy sauce, bay leaves, and peppercorns. He surprisingly mentions later on that he’s in a relationship with the dish. Later on, I recommended for him to try the Balut.
Right after the interview, Pierce signed my books, and we took photos. It was such a surreal experience getting to meet this one of a kind author, and to know more about his writing processes, and journey was inspiring.
Thank you again to Pierce Brown for enthusiastically answering my questions and signing my books, and also to National Bookstore, again, for inviting me to interview Pierce! I will never forget this amazing, once in a lifetime experience. Y’all are awesome!
Have you read Pierce’s Red Rising Trilogy? If you have, please share your thoughts with me via the comment section, and let me know what you think. If not, then go read them now!
JM is a 21 year old blogger from Manila. He has a degree in Hotel and Restaurant Managment mainly because it was too late when he discovered that literature and publishing is his true calling. He enjoys reading contemporary and fantasy novels as much as he enjoys playing video games and baking pastries. You may find him on Twitter, Instagram, and on Goodreads.