Hi all! Today I’m a part of the blog tour for THE LAST MAGICIAN by Lisa Maxwell! I currently have a digital ARC of this new release, and I’m so excited to dive in.Here’s a bit more about the book!
Stop the Magician.
Steal the book.
Save the future.
In modern day New York, magic is all but extinct. The remaining few who have an affinity for magic—the Mageus—live in the shadows, hiding who they are. Any Mageus who enters Manhattan becomes trapped by the Brink, a dark energy barrier that confines them to the island. Crossing it means losing their power—and often their lives.
Esta is a talented thief, and she’s been raised to steal magical artifacts from the sinister Order that created the Brink. With her innate ability to manipulate time, Esta can pilfer from the past, collecting these artifacts before the Order even realizes she’s there. And all of Esta’s training has been for one final job: traveling back to 1902 to steal an ancient book containing the secrets of the Order—and the Brink—before the Magician can destroy it and doom the Mageus to a hopeless future.
But Old New York is a dangerous world ruled by ruthless gangs and secret societies, a world where the very air crackles with magic. Nothing is as it seems, including the Magician himself. And for Esta to save her future, she may have to betray everyone in the past.
Today, Lisa is going to share 10 fun facts about Harte Darrigan in THE LAST MAGICIAN.
- The line “Liars make the best magicians” comes directly from Harry Houdini’s book about magic and criminals, The Right Way to do Wrong
- Harte’s stage effects are based in large part on some of Harry Houdini’s most famous acts, including his escapes and his “East India Needle Trick.”
- I got Harte’s name from Hart Crane, who was a poet. Crane is most famous for his epic poem The Bridge, which was about the Brooklyn Bridge.
- Harte Darrigan isn’t the name the character had when he was born. He’ll never tell you his real, legal name…and neither does the book.
- Harte loves oranges, which would have been an expensive delicacy at the time. The expense of the fruit is part of the draw for him. Since he grew up poor and pulled himself off the streets, he relishes being able to buy the comforts he wants.
- Harte hates being dirty. He’s meticulous about his appearance, in part because he’s pulling one big elaborate con with the person he’s become, but also because of his past. His bathtub and his clean apartment are his sanctuaries.
- Harte’s tub was inspired by a line from a song in “Newsies.”
- Harte rarely, if ever, drinks. He’ll pretend to take a glass of something to blend in, but he’s more interested in keeping his mind sharp.
- Harte is based, in part, on a character in a book called The Pickpocket’s Tale, even though Harte isn’t the pickpocket in TLM. George Appo was a real figure—a pickpocket who wrote his own autobiography about the con games he ran and the crimes he committed.
- Harte is passing. There are small clues about his ethnicity in the book, but Harte won’t really deal with his actual identity and heritage until the sequel, where his past will catch up to him.
I loved all of these fun facts! Thank you, Lisa, for stopping by!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Lisa Maxwell is the author of The Last Magician, Unhooked, Sweet Unrest, and The Gathering Deep. She grew up in Akron, Ohio, and has a PhD in English. She’s worked as a teacher, scholar, editor, writer, and bookseller (at Little Professor Book Center in Alabama). When she’s not writing books, she’s a professor at a local college. She now lives near Washington, DC, with her husband and two sons. You can follow her on Twitter @LisaMaxwellYA or learn more about her upcoming books at Lisa-Maxwell.com.Author Website: www.lisa-maxwell.comBook Website (with special content): www.thelastmagician.comTwitter: @LisaMaxwellYAInstagram: @LisaMaxwell13
Lisa has been kind enough to provide a swag pack for one winner on this site! Fill out the Rafflecopter below, and I’ll choose a winner who will receive their prize from Lisa! This giveaway will end August 20. 🙂
Lisa is also providing a signed copy of THE LAST MAGICIAN with a bonus swag pack that includes a few extra things to one winner. Fill out the Rafflecopter below to enter!
Alice is an 18 year old college student who loves the oxford comma, television shows, and the company of dogs. She finds writing in the third person odd yet enjoyable. You can find her scrolling through Twitter, Instagram, and forever organizing her shelves on Goodreads.